Friday Featured Artist: Larisa Deac
Today I’m interviewing Larisa Deac, who has some amazing artwork to help inspire your weekend! Thank you for joining us!
1. I see on your blog (and instagram) that you’re participating in a 100 days project. Can you tell us a little more about what it is, and the ways it has impacted you thus far?
The #100daysofpapertint is an art challenge I started back in Brazil, with the idea to offer a small original painting to someone anywhere in the world, for 100 days. I got very inspired by the ocean there, and my project reflects this theme until today. In order to win, participants just have to follow the rule I post for each painting, and at the end of each week I choose winners and send them their prizes. It gives me a great satisfaction to hear that my small artwork made someone happy and that they can relate to it because it reminds them of a place or a moment in time.
2. You have lived in several countries around the world. How has this changed your art?
When painting, I try to reflect the feelings I get from the places I live in. I’ve noticed that the shapes and color palettes change based on where I am. In New York, it was a lot about more rigid geometric shapes, whereas in Brazil and Portugal my technique has become more fluid.
3. What is your favorite piece of artwork you’ve ever created?
This is a very difficult question because I feel connected to each of them, but I think my favorite was the one entitled “Oceans”.
4. What was your most challenging piece? Why?
The same as above, this painting was my favorite and the most challenging one because I made it in a very narrow space, without too many tools available.
5. What is it that inspires you as an artist?
I am inspired by motion and light, which is why in many of my paintings you can find shapes that resemble waves. I’ve always been fascinated by the changing light and texture of the ocean waves.
6. Why do you make art?
7. What types of media do you use now? What kind would you like to experiment with in the future?
8. What goals do you have for your artwork in the future?
9. What advice do you have for other artists out there?
About Larisa and Papertint
Papertint was created by Larisa Deac, as a means to share her modern abstract art with the world. Papertint is about tints of color on paper and canvas.
The paintings explore abstraction through vibrant colors and textures, using solely acrylics as a medium. Inspired by emotion and how the sun captures the surroundings, the artist focuses on a couple of major themes: motion and light.
Larisa Deac is from Romania and has lived in several countries including Finland, United States, Brazil, and Portugal.
Her process starts with layering paint to give the artwork a certain depth, and preparing a color palette. Interested in how different shapes blend on canvas, she allows the final result to change based on intuition. The intention is that the art would transform people’s environment and allow them to feel more focused and inspired.
Papertint was launched in New York in June 2017 through an art exhibition.